In May 2017, I joined Skymoons Edinburgh (a new western division of Chinese studio Skymoons Interactive) as a Senior Software Engineer.
KB13 was a free-to-play, third person deathmatch game for iOS and Android. It was the spiritual successor to APB by Realtime Worlds and APB Reloaded by Reloaded Productions.
Prior to the sale of the parent company to Chinese streaming giant iQIYI, the studio was closed down in April 2018, while KB13 was still in production.
- With the other Senior Software Engineers, we performed the duties of Technical Director in the absence of a full-time person.
- Researched and developed the art pipeline for the character and clothing artists. This involved writing tools to organise the raw assets, import the assets into Unity, and create in-game database entries. I worked closely with the artists to make sure the process was easy to use and met their requirements.
- Designed and implemented databases for managing customisable clothing. This included an item restriction system that prevented certain combinations of clothing that wouldn’t work well (eg Afro hair and hoodie) and replaced some items with alternative versions to prevent intersections.
- Developed the user interface, including the front end and HUD.
- Mentoring junior members of the code team.
On this project, I used the following technology:
- Unity 5.6 using C#.
- Xcode on macOS for iPhone and iPad.
- Git, GitLFS, SourceTree and Bitbucket for source control using the Gitflow Workflow.
- Confluence and Jira by Atlassian for project management and issue tracking.
The following videos were produced as samples of work in progress and are therefore not of a completed and polished product.
Please note that the music in the Gameplay video is NSFW.